No one knows you better than yourself – after all you have been with yourself for 40+ years. Your weaknesses, fears, strengths, and desires are always with you in the back of your mind. Because of this awareness, self-help is a great way to ensure you can overcome any obstacles remaining in your life. The following are tips designed to use self-help effectively:
- To achieve your remaining goals, turn the necessary tasks required to reach your goals into a habit. Turn the tasks into habits you do every day without thinking about it similar to you brushing your teeth on a daily basis. As you have already discovered, habits are difficult to break. If you successfully turn your small tasks into habits, you will reach your end goal quickly.
- Strive for perfection even though you know you will never achieve it. When your goal is perfection, you know you are headed in the correct direction. If you strive for perfection even though you know you will never achieve it, you will make progress and in the process you will get better and better each and every day.
- You must be willing to look deep inside your heart and psyche, when you are advancing your personal development. If you cannot look inside and examine your faults, you will be unable to change the things you do not like about yourself. Remember, your faults have been with you all your life so you must look deeply to be able to change the things you do not like about yourself. Looking deeply will allow you to expand your self-knowledge and expand your horizons.
- Attempting to guess how people perceive you or guessing what they might think about you can cost you an opportunity for a great friendship. No one is able to read another person’s mind or heart, so do not worry about what other people think. Just be yourself, be honest, and allow time to produce the truest of friends.
- Even at this stage of your life do not be afraid to ask for help! Asking for help can prove to be one of the most important things to know while on your self-help journey. In fact, asking for help from those more knowledgeable or qualified is a sign of strength. For asking, you will receive the benefit of someone who is objective and more experienced concerning the subject than you are.
- Are you in a rut? Remember you have had more than 40 years to develop your rut therefore you need to look around you to discover if the roadblocks are the same ones you have run into in the past. If so, you are probably staying within your established safe and cozy “comfort zone” rather than branching out. Staying in your “comfort zone” prevents you from branching out and finding new opportunities. Try networking with new people you might learn or gain a new perspective from.
- As you are advancing your personal and spiritual development do not neglect your physical well-being. Your body has carried you all these years – do not desert it now because you certainly still need it. A wise man once stated “Make a friend of the body; it will help you on your path.”
- Lastly, embrace your emotions! Suppressing them will limit you not only emotionally but in all the areas of your life. Embracing your emotions even your anger, fear and sadness will allow you to understand and move past them. Accepting your emotions enables you to become the master of them and enriches your spiritual as well as your physical life.
Even at this stage of your life, self-help can be essential for you to reach your goals quickly and improve your situation. Using self-help can definitely assist you on the road to a happier and more fulfilled lifestyle!